Monday, November 10, 2008

The Perfect Eclipse Analogy/Metaphor/Simile

Alas, too late for my last post about the Mitsubishi Eclipse did I realize what would make the perfect analogy/metaphor/simile for the Eclipse. Now, I'm smart enough to realize that these three words are similar in usage, but are in reality quite different in meaning. The following definitions are from Dictionary dot com, but I really thank my sister, who graduated from Ohio State with an English degree and who nailed the differences cold.

---------------------------------------
a·nal·o·gy
Pronunciation Key
n. pl. a·nal·o·gies
    1. Similarity in some respects between things that are otherwise dissimilar.
    2. A comparison based on such similarity. See Synonyms at likeness.
---------------------------------------
met·a·phor
Pronunciation Key
n.
  1. A figure of speech in which a word or phrase that ordinarily designates one thing is used to designate another, thus making an implicit comparison, as in "a sea of troubles" or "All the world's a stage" (Shakespeare).
---------------------------------------
sim·i·le
Pronunciation Key
n. A figure of speech in which two essentially unlike things are compared, often in a phrase introduced by like or as, as in "How like the winter hath my absence been" or "So are you to my thoughts as food to life" (Shakespeare).
---------------------------------------

So, to use a simile, the sexy rounded rear end and otherwise humdrum front end of the Mitsubishi Eclipse is like the sexy rounded rear end and otherwise humdrum front of Stacy Keibler. I think it makes for a perfect analogy, and it also gives me the opportunity to post pictures of Keibler here:











































Now, I admit she has a very pretty face, but what really sells calendars and pictures of Keibler is her fantastic rear end. She has no chest to speak of, although she probably isn't as flat as Debra Messing is. I also thought she was terrific on ABC's Dancing With the Stars, and was sad when she was voted off the show. That was the season won by Drew Lachey, with a close runner-up performance by Jerry Rice. When they interviewed her on the way out the door, I couldn't believe how nice and complimentary she was to her competitors, the judges, and to everyone involved with the show. I was impressed that anyone that smoking hot could be so nice! Since then, I've seen that everyone being voted off the show is just as nice and complimentary, so perhaps all the celebrites are under very strict orders to be gracious as they depart.

Anyway, I thought of that comparison and just had to include it here.

No comments: