Sunday, September 7, 2008

Microsoft Doesn't Know How to Advertise, Either

So, I read a while back that Microsoft was hired Jerry Seinfeld (WSJ article; subscription req'd) to fight back against Apple and the often hilarious Mac vs. PC ads starring Justin Long (who totally turned his Mac persona into a starring role as an Internet geek/hacker alongside Bruce Willis in "Live Free or Die Hard"). I figured hey, what the heck? Seinfeld is a pretty funny guy. I can still watch reruns of Seinfeld that make me laugh, although I'm disappointed they'll never be in HD.

And then I actually WATCHED the ad. Who are the lame-o writers behind this little piece of awfulness? I say little, but it actually feels like two or three minutes of your life pass by as you watch this dreck. And you'll never get those minutes back again. The jokes aren't funny (world's richest man shops at a discount shoe store: what a laff riot!), many of the lines are simply creepy (when Gates gives Jerry the puzzled look after Jerry suggests showering in your clothes, he's not the only one who thinks Jerry is off his rocker), and I don't even get the weird suggestion at the end. Who could possibly want to eat their computer?

Whoever wrote this should be fired. Whoever hired the ad agency should be fired. Microsoft should probably never, ever try to be hip or funny ever again.


No comments: