Monday, December 15, 2008

Paint the Whole End Zone!

A quick post tonight: I just saw this (pic below) while watching the Brownies play the Iggles tonight on ESPN. (For those of you who read my previous posts on my antenna-only digital TV at home, I'm on the road, in a Holiday Inn Express tonight, so I actually get to watch the MNF game this week.) The pic is a mostly-empty shot of the newish Lincoln Financial Field in Philadelphia, which is the football-only stadium that replaced the old Veterans Stadium.


So, the picture makes me really wonder why they didn't use a couple other gallons of paint to finish the job in the end zones. Could it really cost them that much to make the end zones a uniform dark green, with the logo on top? As far as I know, this is the Field Turf stuff that plays like grass (only better!), so if you paint it once, it should be good for the whole season.

Maybe that's just it, exactly. If they also use this field for high school or college games, then perhaps they only replace those middle sections of the end zones to make it Eagle-neutral. I think they still play the Army-Navy game here, despite losing Veterans Stadium.

Oh, and the INT return for a TD by Asante Samuel for the Philly Team Defense pretty much assures I win my fantasy football game this week, so I'll make my league's championship game next week. I had the best regular-season record (10-4), best breakdown rating (beating other good teams in my league), and most points scored, so I owned the power rankings at the end of the regular season last Tuesday. But you never know how things will go from week to week, and the playoffs are single elimination, so I'm happy I'm not getting knocked out in the first round.

And hey, I might not be a FFB savant, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express!

1 comment:

bigboid said...

Holy crap! I knew the Brownies were having a down year this year, the win against the G-men notwithstanding. But they really are a not good football team. They punted, while down 17-3, on the road, in a hostile stadium, from the opponent's 35 yard line! I'm sure Gregg Easterbrook will note "game over" in his notebook as the fraidy-cat punt boomed, netting a total of just 15 yards. Yeah, sure, it was 4th and 9, but what did they really have to lose by going for it? That might have been as close to paydirt as the Browns will get for the rest of this game.

Oh, and I spy another logo beneath the Eagles logo at midfield. So, yes, they must use that field for other teams, too. And it looks like it's a real grass surface, too.